Tuesday 25 March 2014

Mobile Game Update #8 (Hack, Graphics, Landscape!)

I can't overstate how privileged I am to live and study in Hull. For someone who wants to get into the games industry and sees my degree as more of an opportunity than an academic requirement I am in a perfect situation to meet new people and go to awesome events. One of the more recent events is the Hull Hackathon which I'll save for a blog tomorrow. What the event brought though was something awesome. My game is starting to look how I imagined it.
The biggest news this week is my game works in landscape mode now. Well, in fact, that's the only mode it works in but that's fine. What this means though is I could finally focus on making some graphics for the game and start thinking about adding features or polishing what I already have. That creative aspect of game making is back and I'm happy to see it. As the only guy making this I get to experience all the highs and lows of making the game and it's turning into a game that should kickstart an awesome portfolio.

I missed the Windows Game Ambassador deadline by a lot, by two weeks pretty much. I could polish up what's already here and shove it into the store but with no deadline now I can be a bit more ambitious. The ideas I've picked up during development will be given a second thought now. I want to make something people will go back to and enjoy so I'll probably give a month or even two on this and publish it. With the progress I've made so far and my ever increasing standards I put myself on learning c# and games dev I should make a pretty sweet game.

Graphics have been added. There are no placeholders anymore which is wonderful to see. I'll update this blog with the textures as soon as I'm home. They are quite lovely I assure you. They probably won't be what I have when I publish so when I come to do spritesheet animation I'll probably spend some good time making the art. At that point I can also settle on a specific style. I want to give it a unique, vibrant flair. I changed how the background it done. It is no longer a looping texture. What I'll go for instead is a gradual background with time dependent components to the background.

That's enough detailing of what I want for now. I've been up all night making a program for my software engineering coursework that I'm pretty proud of. It's over-engineered for the purpose but I love how well I made it. That skill came from this games development project and that is what keeps me okay with how much time I put into it.

Video time! I have my voice explaining the game this time. If I knew how much I seemed to be mumbling I would have spoke up. Apologies for my poor narrating and I hope to do a lot better next time. I would love feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment