Monday 3 March 2014

Mobile Game Update #3 (Video! Bad Handwriting! Progress! )

The last blog was only a few days ago yet it feels like so long ago already. I've been busy since my last blog but not always with something I'd like to take up my time. My weekend was devoted mostly just to getting XNA on Visual Studio to work on my desktop. I'll talk about that at the end because it's not important and I really want to talk to you about what awesome things this Monday has brought! Seriously, this is one good update blog.

So I last left you with a good idea of what my plan was for this week and the start of next week. I was hoping for that to include the weekend just passed but there's no point focusing on time lost. I have a basic program drawn out in theory with classes interacting with each other. From here I can figure out what I need and give myself some real goals I can achieve.
I apologise for scruffy handwriting, I write notes for my eyes only usually!
Today I set myself a wishlist of things to include in my game. It was mostly for the learning experience and I'm so glad I had a friend to help me with that. I have made a lot of breakthroughs in how I understand exactly what I want to do.

I understand the purpose of constructors properly and how I use data from the Game class to pass that into something like my Player class. I still haven't utilised inheritance yet so really I haven't got to what makes classes really awesome but my progress so far has really helped me understand everything. I only understood the semester 1 material through doing stuff and it's the same here. I think programming is a very practical subject and I love the feeling of learning.

Okay so I'll stop beginning everything with "I" now. So what exactly have I done and dammit why am I not working right now?

Well, today I started at 8:30 and just spent the time from then up to 7pm planning, being at lectures and working. Using blogging as a break gives me plenty of time to chill a bit and keep part of my mind on the project.

So now what have I done? I made a short video showing all the features made so far. Keep in mind I had absolutely no code to show this morning and now I have this. I'm hoping the next days will bring me the same amount of progress.


From here you can see basic keyboard and mouse controls, player and enemy collision and multiple enemies at random times and random points along the Y plane. Honestly it's super simple stuff although some of the bugs made along the way were pretty funny, most caused by really dumb mistakes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment