Thursday 20 March 2014

Mobile Game Update #7 (Fun, '80s music, a working game)

This is the first blog after submission of my Windows Game Ambassador application so I guess I've proved to myself I don't need that goal to stay dedicated to this awesome project. 1 minor case of being burnt out happened after the problems covered in the last blog (that Monday blog was a really late Wednesday blog to be honest) but I'm back and persistent as ever.
The biggest problem I had was the touch input was being recognised as infinity for both x and y so no matter where you touched you were out of luck, sadly. From what I read this was caused by the bounds for the screen being set to null, or something like that. It's a weird problem with a weird fix. That was just some use of Google to solve it and I should probably be less negative about problems I face. Lesson learned, big problems are sometimes the easiest.

Immediately fixing one problem brought another one to my attention which was the old logic of capturing the coordinates of the first click of a drag and record additional coordinates of where the mouse goes until the click is released just didn't work. Super fortunately the problem of logic is solved easily and it just works with the slightly different way how a touch interface works. I thought when it came down to it they were identical inputs with touch having some gesture fanciness. This isn't exactly the case but no matter, problem solved with a different if test. Why stuff like this isn't the first thing that pops up when searching the web confuses me. Surely the answers that work are the ones that get the most hits since people stop searching after that one?

While those two problems were big and identifying exactly what needed to be done had taken too long the solutions were pretty simple. I had some pretty smart people stumped with the problem though so I'm glad in a way that my problems are suddenly less trivial to others. :D

Obligatory video time! I've been thinking about recording voice during the videos too whenever I can. I think people might find that a little bit more interesting than Youtube's finest stock music.
From here I just have the orientation bug to fix. I need to fix that quickly before I get used to how the game works at the moment.

Quick note. I'm going to the Hackathon on Friday. A 24 hour game jam sort of thing except it's about more than just games. I will be going to it and will probably work on my current game. I might also just make a game in the 24 hours. Undecided. Either way, I'm excited to visit Platform studio and meet more people dedicated to this awesome idea of making computers do brilliant things with a secret language we know.

No comments:

Post a Comment