Thursday 21 November 2013

Computer Science at Hull Update - Three Thing Game (video)

Well, it has been an incredibly long time since I last posted here.
Unfortunately right now at university I neither have the time or tools to contribute to Station 9. I was hoping the machines here would have Photoshop and Autodesk Maya but alas all they have is Paint.net and Blender which won't cut it. I'm looking into portable app solutions but I have plenty of work to do anyway.

The good news though is I have finally finished my first game!.. or been part of an extremely small team which made one anyway, being only two people at the end. We made the game during Three Thing Game which is a University of Hull game jam where you are given 3 things and 24 hours to make a game out that. Our things were pinball, desk and speedboat. Not the best set of items in the world to make a game out of but we got straight at it.

While this isn't impressive at all for most people our game features a foreground, mid ground and background on a constant loop, an upgrade system and different enemy types and effects. The core concepts of the game play are fine but the implementation is unavoidably rough, something that's just going to happen for a first year, first semester student team. The game is relatively fun to play though especially with cheats. The code itself is brilliant and just asking for a sequel with better game play and decent graphics.



Now that I have one game finished I know what I need to work on before I go onto my next game jam which could be the Global Game Jam. I need to develop my skills in C# and XNA first though. For the next Three Thing Game which is supposed to be in March I want to create a 3D game using Unity and let it be playable on Windows Phone and Windows 8 for strategic purposes. By then I should have a desktop because for now all I have is my phone (which is awesome by the way, totally recommend the Nexus 5) to do browsing, watch videos and check Twitter, not ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment