Friday 28 February 2014

Mobile Game Update #1

Hello everyone! These past few weeks have left me incredibly busy and with recent events I can only imagine things getting even crazier. I'm writing this at 04:20 with the precise timing being no reference lost by me. This blog is the first of many I imagine which document the creation of my latest and greatest personal project: Super Awesome Multidimensional Speedboat Game or SAMS Game. I'm quite happy with the name!

A little brief description of the game. You are a mischievous fellow who has stolen the Monarch of The Multiverse's favourite speedboat. The result of your joyride has started to break the very foundations of the universe which is very very bad! The Monarch is not to be played a fool and has sent the Knights of The Multiverse to capture you and restore the boat to its proper place. Your objective is to do what you do best; keep riding the waves of time and sea!  It's a 2D sidescroller infinite runner-ish type game with some unique twists on the genre and elements of super fun we all love. 

This project is definitely one of the most crazily ambitious and awesome ones I have both thought of and started to make since probably the Station 9 project which is on hold until April or even later probably. 

Okay so reason why I'm doing this: I really want to be a Windows Game Ambassador. The opportunities are staggering and everything about it sounds like a lot of fun. I love going places, meeting people, talking about what I love and learning new awesome and interesting tools to help me make what I love making! What's not to like?

This is also going to be a wonderful start to a fantastic portfolio I hope to make too and a great way to push myself and spend my time outside of university really using the skills I have learned! I think university would be a waste if you didn't use what you know to do brilliant things.

Nothing has actually been made yet, sadly. One of the things I have learned from the game jams I have been to is that the time you spend in the planning stage and how well you manage that the greater the rewards are. Time spent here is a lot more time saved later and time is a premium for me right now. Deadline isn't that far away and I, as always, have much to learn.

The only thing I can show you is a rough draft of the class diagram I'm making. It's very bad and I'm aware which I guess isn't utterly tragic. I'm going to seek more wisdom and give a lot more thought later today. I'm hoping after that I can start thinking making some code.


Oh and the language I have chosen is quite predictably C# because I have the great resources of Visual Studio and XNA/Monogame at my disposal which is quite lovely. 

I hope this is a start to something great.

No comments:

Post a Comment