Saturday 20 July 2013

Basic Station Map (With Pictures)

Some actual progress despite the muggy heat having a huge hit on productivity. I have completed a very basic map of Station 9 giving a bit of information on the station and each of its levels. I gave plenty of thought to the amount of people that would be required to run such a large and versatile station.

Initially the population was much greater but I don't want to plan something that will just be too big and detailed to possibly make. I started thinking about a game recently released called Remember Me, developed by Dontnod and Published by Capcom, and how a lot of the tasks required to maintain the beautiful city of Neo-Paris were done by automated robots. I feel this is also how a station as big as Station 9 would be maintained. This should also make an enjoyable experience in the future when I have to design each of these robots which are purpose made for each task. I have ideas in my head for each of the different robots and I think they'll be pretty cool when made.



I started the map with a pencil and paper as I usually do with an idea. While I am terrible at drawing I have the easiest time putting my rough ideas on paper than anything else. From there I turn to Autodesk Maya which refines my idea to something better and what you could understand. The model is extremely simple but gives you the idea of the station.

Very Simple Blockout

Once I had a 3D model I had an easier time making my first real map of Station 9. Do you see the lines on the 3D model? In orthographic view those lines are perfect to use as a wireframe in 2D. I then got rid of everything but the wireframe and used this as the base for the map.


Wireframe

From here it's pretty simple. I used some Photoshop to create a lightly detailed map of the station. I wanted to colour code each area for future reference. The colours might be changed to be more aesthetically pleasing but the idea that each station level has a colour scheme to distinguish itself will be primary consideration when texturing the station.

Station Map

Station Map Without Graphics


Over next week I hope to add more on this as I work towards creating a level design document. My next objective is to create a map of the resource flow of the station and give more details on how the station works. After that is finished I can think of how each level of the station works and then finally how game theory can be applied to each level of the station.

Thank you for reading and I hope the small amount of work done so far has made you curious about my personal project.




No comments:

Post a Comment